Sunday, February 9, 2014

Isabel is SEVEN!


Seven years ago this precious baby girl made me a mommy.  I had no clue just how much my life would change. I had no idea what would be harder and what would be so much better. Recently I have been talking with some friends who have children who are 4-5+ years younger than Isabel.  In hearing their issues, concerns and even funny stories about their kids, I have been reminded of our own stories from when Isabel was younger.  In a way it is fun to "relive" those times.  It is easy to forget how Isabel used to say certain words that were totally incorrect but so funny.  It can be easy to forget how difficult bedtime was for Isabel when she was about 2 and a half and how I wanted to pull my hair out every.single.night for months!!  Until I'm reminded I forget how much she loved to sing and dance and how terrified she was of all men, the Chick-fil-A cow and the huge stuffed gorilla at the library.  Because it has been a while, some of these things are even funny now (although they definitely were NOT at the time).  It is also nice to look back and realize how far we have come.  In a lot of ways, parenting this 7 year old is so much easier but there are still plenty of new things to worry about. Instead of worrying about how to stop tantrums, I get to worry about her relationships with friends at school and whether or not I think she is getting the best education that she deserves.  Plus she is getting way to close to the teenage years!!!!

At seven, Isabel is smart, funny, and beautiful inside and out.  She can be super-silly sometimes but can also easily be quiet and serious when she needs to be.  She is doing so well at school and gets along with her friends pretty easily.  She is still a big rule follower and sometimes has trouble remembering that she is not always in charge and not responsible for reminding everyone around her of the rules! :)  While she has become much less fearful, she is still hesitant of trying new things or being in a new environment. She is an amazing reader and usually determined to figure things out on her own.  Although she still gets frustrated if she cannot do something perfectly the first time, she is less of a perfectionist than she was at a younger age.  She is a thinker and I always wonder what is really going on in her mind. She is a precious girl and I am so thankful for her!

Her birthday started out with her favorite...donuts!  Josh got up early to get her favorite kind and Isabel was so surprised when she saw them since it was a school morning.  She actually asked if Max the elf was the one that brought them! :)


She was excited to be at school on her birthday.  She got to go to the office to get a birthday ribbon taped to her shirt and then I came to have lunch with her.  She loved getting to pass out birthday cookies to all of her friends!

After school we waited for Josh to get home.  At 7 Isabel has a lot of great qualities but she is far from patient!!  I think her gifts were worth the wait though...

Will was super excited about the reusable stickers and scenes he picked out for Isabel (I choose to tell myself it is because he really loves to give instead of the fact that he got one too and couldn't play with it until she opened hers!)

Along with a couple other little things (frozen barbies) Josh and I got Isabel a canopy for her bed.  Her reaction was great.  She was so so excited.

Will, however, was not so excited.  This was his reaction!  He was very sad that he didn't get a canopy thing for his bed too (ok so maybe we are still working on that better to give thing)


We ended the day celebrating Isabel over her favorite dinner of Cracker Barrel pancakes!  Overall I think she enjoyed her day and we enjoyed celebrating our precious 7 year old!

No comments: