Monday, January 27, 2014

another reader in the family

This year Isabel started taking spelling tests.  When I would call out her spelling words for her to practice the night before the test, Will insisted on having his own spelling words as well.  For the past few months I have been able to give him a 2-3 letter word that is actually spelled like it sounds and he is able to spell it.  I was proud of him but never actually thought that he is now ready to read.  Fortunately he has an older sister who forces him to play school regularly wants to be a teacher when she grows up who reminded me about the "BOB" books my mom gave her a long time ago.  They are very easy readers and a great place for Will to start.

It took us a couple of days to actually find the books. (In my defense, we have not used these books in years and Isabel is known for placing random things she finds in one of her 15 million bags/purses and then putting that bag/purse somewhere that we will never look.).  Anyway, Will was beyond excited that he was actually able to read a book like his big sister.  I have to say that I am impressed with how quickly he got it and how quickly he is learning words so that he does not have to sound them out each time.  I also have to say that I may have had some tears in my eyes when he read me his first book.  He is supposed to be my baby, not a 5 year old reading a book and getting read for kindergarten!!



No comments: