Friday, January 3, 2014

A New Year....

We enjoyed our last day of 2013.  After a lazy day, we went out to dinner and then watched a movie together at home.  The kids got to stay up later than usual but definitely not midnight!  It was a nice night.



However, the first 2 days of 2014 were not my favorite.  Ever have one of those days when everything seems to go wrong, everything you touch seems to break, your favorite football team forgets to show up for the big game and you don't feel good?  Yeah, like I said, not so fun.  SO I'm hitting the "reset" button and have decided that Today is the first day of our new year.  (This is my blog and I'm allowed to do that if I want to!)

Like all years, I'm sure 2014 will be full of its ups and downs.  I also know that this year will be full of changes and new beginnings.  Things at our church and Josh's job will change.  Will is going to start kindergarten (sniff sniff).  Hopefully I will be able to start working part time again.  Isabel will finish 1st grade and start 2nd grade and basically just keep growing up way too fast.  I'm sure there are many other changes that will take place that I cannot even imagine right now.

To be honest, change scares me.  It pretty much always has. Even when it is a "good" change, it can still be hard.  However I have decided that I want to make this year different.  I want to look at this new year with all of its changes and new beginnings with a sense of hope and with peace instead of fear and anxiety.  I want to rest in the truth that God is faithful and loving and sovereign and more than ready to carry me and my family through another year of ups and downs. I want my joy to come from God and not my ever-changing circumstances. I know myself and I know this won't be easy for me.  All fear will not be gone simply because I want it to be and wrote it down.  It will take day by day minute by minute decisions to trust God and not myself.  I'm not sure why I'm always surprised when it turns out that He knows more than me when he shows me that truth over and over again.

Most importantly, it will simply take making my relationship with God my priority.  I want Him to be my first thought, not my last resort.  I want to spend time with Him daily so that I am better able to feel His presence and hear His voice.  I want to constantly seek His wisdom as I discipline and teach my children.  I want them to know just how much God loves us and why we need a savior.  I want them to learn to trust Him completely at an early age so maybe they will be able to handle change with hope and faith, the way I want to.

I don't really "do" New Year's resolutions.  Who really remembers those in March anyway?  This seems more important than that.  I know God is working on me and that He will help me in this every step of the way.  I can honestly say that I am ready for 2014 and all that is in store.

No comments: