Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Mammoth Cave

Each Thursday during the summer Josh takes our students to do something fun.  Last week he took them to Mammoth Cave and the kids and I went too!  Mammoth Cave is about 1.5 hours from us and is the world's longest known cave system, with more than 400 miles explored.  We had a picnic lunch and then took a 2 hour tour tour through about a mile of caves.  I was a little worried about how my kids would handle it but they did great.  As much as we tried to explain what it would be like, they had no clue what to expect and were a little afraid at the beginning.  To get the the main cave tunnel we had to go down many narrow stairs and it was dark which worried them a little but then they were fine.  The cave was amazing and we all learned a lot!  I'm so glad we went.  I am really enjoying the age my kids are so that we can do so many fun things!

getting ready to start the tour
(we took a school bus to get to the entrance and Will was beyond excited about that part!)

Not a great picture but the only one I have
(it is really hard to figure out how to take decent pictures in a really dark cave)

amazing ceiling of the cave


we saw millions of stalactites and stalagmites

No comments: