Friday, January 11, 2013

A new year.......

What a great way to begin 2013! No, we didn't do anything special for New Year's Eve.  I am talking about Alabama winning the National Championship game AGAIN!!



I love football.  More than that, I love ALABAMA football!  I have been around football my entire life (I was born about a week before football season began) and I have been an Alabama fan for as long as I can remember!!  My dad and brother explained the game to me when I was young and if football was being played, it was on our TV.  In high school I had a good friend who was also a big Alabama fan and I was able to go to many games with her and her dad.  We watched them win and lose plenty of times but it was always exciting!  I went to Samford for undergrad but football was not a big deal there at that time so I continued to cheer for Alabama without feeling disloyal.  Then I received my masters degree from the University of Alabama so I can officially consider myself an Alabama graduate!  I now live in Tennessee but that only makes me prouder to be an Alabama fan! ha ha!

I can get a little emotional over a football game...and not always in a good way.  I am not one to sit quietly and watch a game.  I blame my father for that trait.  However, I can say that I have come a long way recently in remembering that it is only a game and not something that should completely ruin my day!

As it was in my house growing up, football is a big part of my family.  I "converted" Josh and his family when we first started dating (they were really just Titans fans and didn't care much for college football so it wasn't too difficult) and I now love watching the games with Josh.  My children can sing the Alabama fight song, yell Roll Tide and are quick to tell people in Tennessee that we "don't like orange!"  We have raised them right! :)
 
After winning the National Championship last year, I was not expecting greatness from the team this year.  Of course I was wrong and so happy about that!  There were some nerve wracking games that I was sure would give me a heart attack but somehow Alabama once again was playing to be #1.  We all wore our Alabama gear that day (well Isabel refused to wear her Alabama t'shirt but she did wear a red and white dress with her houndstooth elephant necklace to school).  The game started at 7:30 so Josh and I recorded the game, put the kids to bed and then watched the game in peace.  I loved every second of the game and I'll admit there may have been tears in my eyes at the end as I watched those boys celebrate!  I know that this "dynasty" will not continue forever so for now I am simply happily enjoying these wins!!

 

No comments: