Sunday, September 2, 2012

kindergarten update

Isabel has officially finished one full week of kindergarten (her first week of school she only went Monday for her phase-in day and then Thursday and Friday full days).  I am so glad that I can honestly say that she is loving school.  I thought I would do a quick one-week update:
  • Although she does love her class, Isabel is still not always happy when I leave her at school.  The problem is that all of the kids (K-5th) all go to the gym first until they are dismissed by grade to their rooms.  Isabel (and many of the kindergartners actually) is really overwhelmed by the gym and does not want to go in. This has gotten a little better because I just drop her off about 2 minutes before they go to their rooms so she doesn't really go in the gym much at all.
  • Will and I are surviving carpool. Although it is a long line, we keep busy with snacks and books to read.  Plus I get to hear every detail of his day at school on Tuesdays and Thursdays! 
  • Kindergarten is fun but must be exhausting as well.  Isabel has had more melt-downs over little stuff ( like how to arrange her stuffed animals before going to sleep or what shoes to wear) this week than she has in the past 6 months.  We are working on getting in bed earlier to see if that will help.  It is also funny to see how much she misses her toys.  She loves coming home and playing with all of the things she hasn't played with all day.
  • We completed Isabel's first homework assignment.  She was very proud of her "all about me" paper doll that she made.  I took a picture of her at open house...


  • I loved getting to talk to her teacher and spend time in her classroom during open house.  Right now Isabel sits with 3 sweet little girls.  She is making fast friends and comes home with new stories about her new friends every day

  • Isabel is handling the transition really well. Will and I are doing ok too.  To be honest, that first week I was a mess.  It is just the unknown and lack of control that I am not used to that is hard to deal with. Isabel has gone to mother's day out 2 days a week for years but she has always been at our church (down the hall from her daddy) with teachers and directors that we knew well.  I was able to talk to her teacher every morning and afternoon when I dropped her off and most Wednesdays and Sundays too.  Now I know very little about what is going on with her for 7+ hours a day 5 days a week.  Definitely a big change!  I know she is where God wants her to be, though, and I have learned a lot more about trusting God through all of this.
Funnies:
Isabel: we had a fire drill at school today
me: what does that mean? what did you do?
Isabel: well we just go outside and do stuff
me: is a fire drill when you practice what you would do if there was a fire in the building?
Isabel: (thinks for a minute) nope, I'm pretty sure that isn't it

me: remember that you need to wear tennis shoes on Mondays since you have PE
Isabel: what is PE?
me: when you play in the gym
Isabel later that day: do I have PG today?

me: did you know you have a nurse at your school?
Isabel: yes, no doctors though........well actually I guess Dr. Kimble (her principal) is a doctor so we could go to her if we are sick
me: tries to explain the difference between a MD and PHD

 
My sweet girl is getting so big and I am so proud of her.  She has started a new ballet/tap class, a new Sunday school class and a new kids program at church and is handling all of the changes so well!!  I could not be more proud of her

No comments: