Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The beginning of the story....

For over 5 years now this blog has been our family scrapbook and I love having all of the big events and just fun memories of our life recorded.  I was thinking the other day how much I wish blogs were around when Josh and I first met or were first married.  Of course, there were not even digital pictures at that point (yes, we are old) so it wouldn't have worked but I still wish those events were recorded.  Well, why not go back and include some now?


How we met.....

Josh and I met in June 1998 while at the summer orientation weekend before starting Samford a few months later.  We were sitting together in Reid chapel, a place where we would be married almost exactly 4 years later.  To be honest, our moms were actually the ones sitting next to each other and talking.  I'm pretty sure Josh and I probably looked at each other and maybe waved. We did eventually have an actual conversation and became friends during that weekend. 

In order to make a long story short, I'll summarize a little here.  For the first year and a half of college, Josh and I were friends.  We hung out with the same group of friends, went to sorority/fraternity parties in the same group but not with each other, and I even dated his best friend.  I always thought he was the greatest guy and even my mom knew him and liked him but we really were just friends.
Things started to change a little right after our freshman year of college.  About a week after we got out of school my mom and I were in a bad wreck.  Most of my injuries were to my face and I looked pretty terrible.  Josh happened to be driving through Birmingham (after visiting a girl he was kind of dating-ha!) the day after I got home from the hospital and called me to see if he could stop by to see me.  I told him that he couldn't because I had been in an accident and looked terrible.  A few close friends and the guy I was dating at the time had come to see me but I didn't want to see a lot of people.  A little while later Josh showed up at the door with a dozen pink roses for me!  He was so nice to me and I can remember thinking at the time that he was being sweeter and more compassionate than the guy I was dating.  I think that was when I started to realize just how amazing he was but we remained friends for a few more months....
The second semester of our sophomore year Josh and I had an astronomy class together.  I think we used that class as a reason to call each other for months.  At that point neither of were dating anyone and everyone around us constantly made comments about our relationship but we assured them we were just friends.  We studied together and started spending more and more time together.  We had an astronomy lab once a week that was over about an hour or so before we usually ate dinner.  Instead of going to our rooms, Josh and I would sit on a bench in the quad and just talked.  We literally talked about anything and everything and I eventually realized that our"friendship" was not just a friendship anymore.
Our first official date was on March 18, 2000.  Josh invited me to his fraternity's St. Patrick's day party.  I can still remember seeing our friends faces when they realized that we had finally admitted what they had known for months.  We really liked each other and although I love that our relationship began with a strong friendship, it had moved well beyond just friends!

**One day I'll have to get Josh to write his version of the story.  It is a little different than my perspective! :)

1 comment:

kaw said...

Even though I know the story I love hearing it again!!!!