Sunday, August 28, 2011

Happy Birthday to me..

I have a confession to make.  I don't really care that much about my birthday, gifts, etc.  I just don't really want the attention and see no need in people spending a lot of money on gifts for me.  I am appreciative of them of course but I don't feel more loved just because I got a gift.  In case you can't tell, my love language is definitely NOT gifts.  In fact, that is probably the last one if I had to rank them.  Luckily, Josh feels the same way.  People are often horrified that we do not spend a ton of money and time buying each other that "perfect" gift for our birthdays or even Christmas but it works for us.  We would rather save the money to spend later on something for the house or a vacation or bills (ha ha!). 

However.....my 2 and 4 year old children do not understand this AT ALL!  Birthdays are HUGE when you are 2 and 4.  You get a party with a fun theme and presents are essential regardless of how many times they are told "it is better to give than receive." :)  So when Isabel and Will learned that my birthday was coming up, they got so excited.  Isabel told me that I should have a princess/queen themed birthday party and that daddy should give me "jewels" for my present.  Will said we should have a baseball game at my party.  I tried to explain that mommys don't always celebrate the way kids do but they were not having it. 


On my birthday, Josh got up early with the kids and let me "sleep in" until 7:30am before we had to get them ready for school.  When I came downstairs, the kids jumped out from behind the couch and yelled "SURPRISE!!"  They gave me cards and little goodies and showed me my cake.  Isabel could not believe I didn't think we should all have a piece right them.  Although this was fun for them, Isabel was still disappointed in my birthday outfit.  I wore jeans instead of something that "twirls" and a birthday crown! :)



No comments: