Sunday, June 19, 2011

Isabel's wedding

No, my 4 year old did not get married. However she did get to go to her first wedding this past weekend and from her excitement level, you would have assumed it was her own. All day long she asked me what dress she should wear and then immediately started asking about "jewelry" once she was dressed.
She loved EVERY SECOND of the wedding and I loved experiencing the whole thing through her eyes. I think I answered about a million questions but they were all precious. Isabel's only exposure to weddings before this was seeing parts of the royal wedding and of course watching Cinderella so it wasn't surprising that she had a hard time using the terms "bride" and "groom." Instead she called them the princess and prince! :) She asked why the back of the princess's dress was so long, why the maid of honor (that we knew) had to walk by herself and why they didn't dance immediately after the wedding like Cinderella and Prince Charming did. She loved getting cake but was really confused why they needed to feed it to each other!
I loved this time with my sweet girly girl who is getting so grown up. I have to admit that I had to hold back tears as the bride walked down the aisle. I couldn't help but think of Josh walking my baby girl down the aisle MANY years in the future...whew, not sure how I will handle that! To be honest, I'm not even sure how I would handle a first date! I will just enjoy my little girl being a little girl for a while longer and pray that when she does get married someday, she marries someone as wonderful as her daddy!

No comments: