Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Reality

Recently I was looking at a bunch of blogs (yes, I'm a blog-stalker. I love blogs. Who doesn't?) and was thinking how happy and precious and well-behaved all of the children seemed. Everyone was smiling and happy and clean and doing fun things. I started wondering what was wrong with me that my kids were not always smiling and happy and we were not always involved in some fun activity. Before I got too discouraged, I looked at my own blog and realized that people could think we were because that is all that is on my blog. Let's be honest, I do not take a picture when Will is screaming and crying and throwing himself on the ground because he heard the word no. My camera is definitely not my first thought when Isabel is whining about what we are having for dinner or on those dreaded nights when she decides she doesn't want to go to sleep and would rather sit in her bed and scream. Thankfully, no one takes a picture of me when I hide in the bathroom because I am too frustrated and exhausted to be a mommy for the next 5 minutes. I'm also not taking pictures like a crazy person as I watch Isabel and Will play with the same toys they have been playing with for months but still fight over like they are brand new. Maybe I should take pictures at those moments. Or maybe not. Either way, I decided my blog needed a new reality post. I consider our blog to be our family's scrapbook and while I want to remember those sweet faces, big smiles and fun things that we have done as a family, I want to remember real life too. Just like I look back at pictures of the newborn stage and congratulate myself on surviving, I want to look back on these toddler days and appreciate how far we have come. When I am dealing with 2 teenagers who want to date or drive or go to parties, I need to look back on these toddler days and laugh at myself for thinking that it just had to be the hardest stage!! So this is my reality post. I'll tell you a story about our day today. We went to the library. Usually playing trains and picking out books is fun right? Not, today. First the giant stuffed gorilla was there so it began with Isabel screaming in terror declaring that she wanted to go home! After somehow carrying her and Will past the gorilla and I thought things were fine. Nope. Will had a dirty diaper and of course it was the one time I didn't bring in the diaper bag. We had to go to the car to get it. Will did NOT want to go so he began screaming and Isabel didn't want to walk by the gorilla so she started screaming. Do you know how quiet a library is when you have 2 screaming kids? So we got outside, everyone quieted down, got the bag, changed the diaper and let the kids play for another minute or two. However Will wanted to play (bang on) the computers and I didn't think that was the best option so I made him stop. Yep, another tantrum. At that time I decide we have to leave. Again, I take a screaming and thrashing Will and a crying and terrified Isabel to check out and leave. We may never go back to the library. So there you go. Life with a 3 year old and a 1 year old is stressful, frustrating, loud, and exhausting....but it can be pretty great too! :)

7 comments:

Sheri said...

Oh the joys of motherhood! I can't promise that the fussing and the moodiness will go away but I can promise that as times goes on that you learn to deal with those times better and that it does get easier to deal with... at least most days :)
Just hang in there... you truly will look back on those days and wish they were that little again, I promise!!

Sara said...

Great post, Jenn! That trip to the Caribbean looks pretty good on days like today, right?

kaw said...

this.is.so.true. we have so many days like this! (and some not like this too!) several people have said (based on my blog) "you're such a good mom" and as i have said to them, "i don't post the meltdowns, or the days when i'm not motivated, or my kids sitting in front of the tv, or any of the hard stuff!" good call on the reality post!

Natalie and Steven Seahorn said...

Amen! I feel like such a failure as a mom sometimes and just reading all these other people's blogs can make it worse! Just know that we have "episodes" practically every day around here. I just never post about them because I am trying to suppress the not so great memories of this age! Plus I doubt anyone really wants to hear about my daily battles with Brandon over and over again!

Jason and Laura Brantley said...

all the cute pictures on blogs are reality they are just not the whole picture of it! jason and i were sitting down the other day and wondering how we have let a 2.5 year old rule our house and going over discipline issues we needed to address and I just sat there thinking we had the worst behaved child ever and then realizing that all parents have probably sat on their couch having the same conversation...well hopefully!

Mrs. Gaskill Rascal said...

seriously, you are like my life twin right now. EVERY blog post is like it came from me....AND I have an altima that I an not-so-patiently waiting to trade in for a van. weird. we are van -looking right now. we need to hang out....if only it wasn't such a long commute!

Jana said...

At this very moment...I am still in my pajamas, laundry is covering the dining room table and the laundry room floor, last nights dirty pans are still on the stove,kitchen counter is covered with everything from a wind chim,dirty clothes and taxes that need to be mailed...yet I am looking at your blog instead of doing any of it. I appreciate your honesty and agree that we all have our camera worthy moments and our non-camera/blog worthy moments.